What is a Bushfire Prone Area and a Bushfire Attack Level?

Orange roof of a house with smoke rising in the background

Designated Bushfire Prone Areas (BPA) have been identified in the Indigo municipality.

Landowners can obtain a property report by visiting land.vic.gov.au and typing in their lot number or address.

If you are in a BPA, you will be required to complete a BAL assessment (Bushfire Attack Level) and there will be certain construction requirements dependent on the level of this assessment.

There are six categories of Bushfire Attack Levels (BAL) ranging from low to extreme now in place across Victoria.

These levels indicate increasing construction requirements ranging from ember protection to direct flame contact.

A BAL assessment is required to determine this level if you are in a mapped Bushfire Prone Area (BPA).

To see if you are in a BPA area, visit land.vic.gov.au and type in your lot number or address.

You can also access the assessment form(PDF, 517KB) here.