Section 36 of Local Law 3 outlines how Council will receive petitions.
Petitions may be formally submitted to Council’s office at any time by providing one electronic copy (in PDF format) emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or paper copy via post (PO Box 28, Beechworth VIC 3747), or in person (at a Council office).
To be included in a Council Meeting the petition must be received at Council’s main (Beechworth) office at least one week prior to the meeting (please allow time for transit).
A compliant petition (see criteria below) will be included in the next available Ordinary Council meeting.
For any additional advice contact Council on 1300 365 003.
To be accepted by Council, a petition must:
☐ Be legible, and;
☐ Be addressed to Indigo Shire Council, and;
☐ Be in English or accompanied by a certified English translation, and;
☐ Be respectful and temperate in language, and;
☐ State the action or remedy sought from Council on every page, and;
☐ Have at least one signature, and;
☐ Contain the signatures, names and addresses of each petitioner (a person incapable of signing may have someone else sign on his or her behalf), and;
☐ Not contain signatures that have been pasted or in any other way transferred or attached to it, and;
☐ If from a corporation, be made under its common seal.
In acknowledging a compliant petition at a Council Meeting:
- The Chairperson will state the action being requested by the petition, and;
- The Chairperson will confirm the total number of signatures to the petition, and;
- Council may pass a resolution to;
- Require the CEO to provide a response to the petition in accordance with Council’s protocols for written communication, or;
- Require the CEO to provide a response to the petition at a future Council meeting, or;
- Note the petition, or;
Require any other action that is appropriate to the petition, and within the powers of Council.
- A response to the petition will be made in writing and addressed to the person who appears as the first signatory.
- A copy of the response to a tabled petition will be sent to all Councillors and may be included in a future agenda as a separate report or as business arising from the meeting at which the petition was acknowledged.