Australia Day is celebrated across Indigo Shire on the 26th of January each year. There are a variety of events across the Shire that include local entertainment, awards presentations, guest speakers and flag raising & lowering ceremonies.
Australia Day Awards
Indigo Shire Council is calling for nominations from the community for the 2021 Australia Day Awards.
The Australia Day Awards celebrate the outstanding individuals and community organisations and businesses in the region who make extraordinary contributions to society.
Anyone can nominate a friend, family member, community leader or colleague who has made a beneficial contribution to our community.
- Indigo Shire Citizen of the Year
- Indigo Shire Young Citizen of the Year
- Indigo Shire Community Organisation of the Year
- Beechworth & District Certificate of Appreciation
- Rutherglen & District Certificate of Appreciation
- Chiltern & District Certificate of Appreciation
- Yackandandah & District Certificate of Appreciation
- Barnawartha & District Certificate of Appreciation
- Kiewa-Tangambalanga & District Certificate of Appreciation
- Wahgunyah District Certificate of Appreciation
- Emma George Junior Sporting Scholarship
The awards are open to individuals who reside within and groups who conduct their activities within Indigo Shire.
Emma George Junior Sporting Scholarship
The Emma George Junior Sporting Scholarship is aimed at young sports people from within Indigo Shire who wish to apply for assistance in pursuing their sporting activities at Regional, State or National levels of competition. More details can be found in the guidelines section of the nomination form.
Nominations close at 5pm Sunday 15 November 2020.
If you would like to receive updates about the awards please register here:
Frequently Asked Questions
How does someone become nominated?
Anyone can nominate by completing the appropriate category nomination form and returning it to Council. Nominations must be accompanied by suitable details to assist the judging panel. An individual or group may be nominated in one category only. All nominations must comply with the General Conditions of Entry, have a nominator and referee and submit the required documentation addressing all areas of the selection criteria.
What happens once someone is nominated?
Once nominations close the nomination forms are forwarded to the Indigo Shire Community Grants and Awards Advisory Committee. The committee will preside over the nominations and determine the award recipients. Nominees may, at the discretion of the Selection Panel, be transferred to another category.
Australia Day Award 2020 Winners
2020 Indigo Shire's Citizen of the Year:
2020 Young Citizen of the Year:
2020 Certificates of Achievement:
- Kiewa- Tangambalanga District: Shelley Lancaster
- Beechworth and District: Ian McVea
- Chiltern and District: Joan McDonnell
- Rutherglen and District: Sandra O'Toole
- Barnawartha and District: Pauline Fisher
- Indigo Shire Community Organisation of the Year: Wahgunyah Progress Association
- Emma George Junior Sporting Scholarship: Tiahn Barnard
We are able to support the promotion of community events in a variety of ways depending on the nature of the event.
To be eligible all events must have an event listing on the Australian Tourism Data Warehouse (ATDW). This listing is free of charge and will place your event on Council What's On Calendar.
Instructions on how to create an ATDW listing are on this fact sheet(PDF, 631KB), if you require further support please call Council on 03 5728 8000.