All dogs and cats must be microchipped and then registered with council by the age of three months.
All animals must be microchipped before registration with council for the first time.
Once your dog or cat is registered, they receive a lifetime Council identification number.
You must purchase a pet identification tag when registering your animal for the first time. The tag will be engraved with the relevant details for your pet including your lifetime Council identification number. The cost of a tag is $15.20.
All cats and dogs are required to wear a registration tag when not on the registered premises.
If you find your pet's tag is missing, drop into one of our Customer Service Centres or call us on 1300 365 003 to order a new tag.
*The owners of a dog or cat who fail to register their animal, or renew the registration, may be liable for a fine in excess of $317.
| Dogs maximum fee
Dogs minimum fee includes:
- De-sexed dogs, dogs over 10 years
- Dogs kept for breeding purposes by the proprietor of a domestic animal business conducted on registered premises
- Dogs that have undergone obedience training that complies with the regulations
- Dogs registered with the Victorian Canine Association or any organisation approved by Council
- Microchipped animal (renewal only if registered prior to 11 April 2013)
- Working dogs
- Dogs being registered for the first-time after October.
| Cats maximum fee
Cats minimum fee includes:
- De-sexed cats
- Cats over 10 years
- Cats kept for breeding by the proprietor of a domestic animal business conducted on registered premises
- Cats registered with the Feline Control Council, the governing council of the Cat Fancy Australia and Victoria Inc., the Domestic Cat Council Inc. or any Successor in law of any one of these Associations or a breed society approved by Council
- Microchipped animal (renewal only if registered prior to 11 April 2013
- Cats being registered for the first-time after October.
Register you dog or cat
Registration fee concessions
Please note that the only eligible concession is a full pension card. Health care cards are not accepted.
Evidence must be provided to receive the reduced fee.
After the initial registration, an annual invoice will be sent to your postal address and must be renewed by 10 April each year. This date is set by the State Government's Domestic Animals Act 1994
To enable us to maintain current records, please advise of any status changes such as address, transfer of ownership, or deceased animals.
Council officers conduct an animal registration door knock each year.
Renew your registration on-line
Complete the application form and send it in to us with your payment / payment details.
If you live in a residential area and you have more than two dogs, two cats or four animals in total, you need to complete this permit application(DOC, 286KB).