Other agencies and their role

Vic Emergency

Disasters of a large scale that are beyond the capacity of our resources will be escalated to a regional, state or national level.

Emergency management in Victoria involves the plans, structures and arrangements which bring together the government and its agencies, volunteers and contractors in a comprehensive and co-ordinated way to deal with the whole emergency including prevention, response and recovery. 

We will work with emergency agencies where required and offer our support in anyway we can. 


Agriculture Victoria

Agriculture Victoria has information for landholders about managing bushfire affected crops, water supplies, soils and pastures.

If you’re looking for information about assisting livestock after an emergency, Agriculture Victoria has information to assist with managing livestock and horses.

The Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning website has details for landholders for repair of fences and the replacement of essential water after a bushfire - Fences, control lines and essential water after bushfire.


Australian Red Cross

The Australian Red Cross activates the Register, Find, Reunite service to reunite family, friends and loved ones after a major emergency.


Country Fire Authority

The Country Fire Authority (CFA) is a volunteer and community-based fire and emergency services organistion.   www.cfa.vic.gov.au

CFA has career and volunteer firefighters across the state who work to protect private property and landowners across Victoria through fuel reduction, fire suppression, incident management and education.

Visit the resources on their website to find out how to plan and prepare for fire.


Disaster Legal Help Victoria

Disaster Legal Help Victoria provides free legal advice, assistance and referrals to people affected by a disaster.

For assistance, please phone Disaster Legal Help Victoria's free helpline on 1800 113 432. This phone line is open throughout the year between 8.45am to 5.15pm, Monday to Friday.


Emergency Management Victoria

Emergency Management Victoria (EMV) leads emergency management in Victoria by maximising the ability of the emergency management sector to work together and to strengthen the capacity of communities to plan for, withstand, respond to and recover from emergencies.  

EMV supports the Emergency Management Commissioner to lead and coordinate emergency preparedness, response and recovery across Victoria's emergency management sector in conjunction with communities, government, agencies and business.

EMV is an integral part of the broader emergency management sector and shares responsibility with a range of agencies, organisations and departments for ensuring the system of emergency management in Victoria is sustainable, effective and community focussed. 

You can find out more about EMV and other agencies by calling the VicEmergency Hotline on 1800 226 226.


Emotional assistance

It is normal to have strong emotional or physical reactions after an emergency – these feelings are part of the healing process. 

The Victorian Government’s Better Health Channel has more information about trauma and families.

  • LifeLine – phone 131 114 - A 24-hour telephone service that offers confidential support and advice to help you deal with stress and personal challenges.
  • Beyondblue information line – phone 1300 224 636 - An information line that offers expert information on depression; how to recognise the signs of depression, how to get help, how to help someone else and how to stay well.
  • Mensline – phone 1300 789 978 - A telephone support, information and referral service, helping men deal with their relationship problems.
  • Nurse-on-Call – phone 1300 60 60 24 - A 24-hour telephone service that allows people to discuss any health-related issue with a registered nurse for the cost of a local call.


Forest Fire Management Victoria

Forest Fire Management Victoria includes staff from the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (DELWP), Parks Victoria, VicForests and Melbourne Water.  

Together, their role is to reduce the risk and impact of bushfires on Victoria's parks, forests and other public land. They are responsible for planned burning and preparedness activities, like slashing, mowing and creating fuel breaks on public land.

They are the lead agency for bushfire management on public land, whale stranding or entanglement, dam safety, oiled wildlife, water and wastewater service disruption. 

Forest Fire Management Victoria’s firefighters and departmental staff work closely with the Country Fire Authority (CFA), water authorities and catchment management authorities.


Victoria Department of Families Fairness and Housing

The Personal Hardship Assistance Program (PHAP) provides financial assistance to alleviate personal hardship and distress suffered by eligible Victorians as a result of an emergency. 

There are two categories of assistance:

  • Emergency Relief Assistance
  • Emergency Re-establishment Assistance

This assistance is not intended to replace insurance or other compensation for loss.


Victorian State Emergency Service

The Victoria State Emergency Service (VICSES) is the control agency for storms and floods in Victoria, which means that they are responsible for planning for storms and floods, and for managing the response if they do occur.

VICSES does this by assisting municipal councils and other agencies with the provision of advice, information, education and training in relation to emergency management, including the prevention of, response to, and recovery from emergencies.