Becoming an owner-builder
An owner-builder is someone who carries out building work on his or her own land.
Owner-builders have a number of important duties and responsibilities. These include, but are not limited to:
- Obtaining and complying with a building permit
- Arranging for the certification of completed work and ensuring that the work is compliant with Australian standards
- Ensuring site and worker safety
- Rectifying any defective building work
- Ensuring appropriate insurance policies are in place.
As an owner-builder, you are required to obtain a certificate of consent from the Victorian Building Authority (VBA) where the value of works is more than $16,000 in order to obtain a building permit.
Obtaining a certificate of consent does not guarantee that you will be issued with a building permit.
For more information on becoming an owner-builder, visit the Victorian Building Authority’s website, phone 1300 815 127 or email email@example.com.