Hosting an event


Event assistance

We are currently in the process of creating an Event Toolkit to help you plan a successful event. It contains a range of tools to assist your event to run smoothly including a range of useful templates (available soon).

We have a dedicated Tourism Development Officer (Industry and Events) who is available as a resource for all event organisers within our Shire.

The Tourism Development Officer can:

  • Provide advice and support for organisers to obtain the correct Council permits and licences
  • Co-ordinate Council event logistic support including road closures and waste services 
  • Assist event organisers to identify opportunities for growth, innovation and collaboration
  • Explore opportunities for new events.

Contact the Tourism Development Officer (Industry and Events), Lauren Ryan on 03 5728 8000 or 0429 709 727 or via email at


Event Risk Assessment Template(XLSX, 15KB)  

Permits and approvals

It is the responsibility of event organisers to ensure that their event has the required permits and approvals from Council and other third parties.

This may include venue hire, traffic management, food handling and/or waste management depending on where your event is being held, how big it is and the nature of your event.

We can assist you in determining which permits or approvals you may need by notifying us of your event and its details.

Please complete our Online Event Notification Form and provide as much information as possible, three months prior to your planned event date. 

Our staff will be in contact once they’ve assessed your event notification to assist you through the process.

Permit application forms

Permit application for an art and craft market(PDF, 202KB)

Permit application for an artistic activity (busking)(PDF, 220KB)

Permit application for consumption of liquor in a public place(PDF, 202KB)

Permit application for horse drawn vehicle or animal ride(PDF, 208KB)

Permit application for roadside street trading(PDF, 203KB)

Permit application for street party, festival or procession and temporary road closure(PDF, 233KB)

Permit application for street stall or kiosk - Beechworth(PDF, 285KB)

Permit application for street stall or kiosk - Rutherglen and Chiltern(PDF, 242KB)

Permit application for street stall or kiosk - Other localities(PDF, 243KB)

Permit application to conduct a street collection or raffle(PDF, 194KB)

Permit application to use a loudspeaker in a public place(PDF, 202KB)

Permit application to use a municipal reserve(PDF, 202KB)

Tourism Events Grant Program

The Indigo Economic Development and Tourism Advisory Committee (IEDTAC) Tourism Events Grant provides grants of up to $4000 and logistics support for eligible events within Indigo Shire. 

The objective of this funding is to maximise economic outcomes for Indigo Shire through the attraction and support of new and innovative events. 

This will be achieved by supporting events that:

  • Grow the visitor economy through any of the following:
    • Increasing overnight stays
    • Increasing midweek visitation
    • Increasing off-peak visitation.
  • Attract new audiences to Indigo Shire through any of the following:
    • Developing an event that shows significant innovation from events that have been delivered in Indigo Shire before
    • Developing a new experience within an existing event to attract a new audience
    • Adding an element of creative appeal that has the potential to build the Indigo Shire brand through social and traditional media take up.

This year’s application only requires you to submit an event marketing plan and event budget. We have removed previous year's questions which duplicated information within the marketing plans. 

We encourage all event organisers to discuss their application prior to submission to ensure their event is eligible.


  • Applications open Wednesday, June 6, 2018;
  • Applications close 5pm on Friday, July 20, 2018;
  • Funding results announced Wednesday, August 29, 2018, via the Ovens and Murray Advertiser; and
  • All applicants will also be advised of the outcome of their submission via email on this date. 


Tourism Festival and Events Grant Program guidelines(PDF, 790KB)

Tourism Festival and Events Grant Program application form(PDF, 748KB)

Events trailer

We have a trailer with a range of equipment for events. There is no charge to use the events equipment, however, you are liable for the safe return of the trailer. The events trailer is subject to availability and you should book early to ensure it is available for your requested dates.

Contact Tourism Development Officer (Industry and Events), Lauren Ryan on 03 5728 8000 or 0429 709 727 or via email at to request the trailer.


Event trailer equipment list(PDF, 316KB)

Event promotion

In partnership with Alpine Shire, we distribute a quarterly event guide titled On Now.

To have your event listed in the guide ensure that you have created an Australian Tourism Data Warehouse (ATDW) listing for your event prior to the publication deadline.  

An ATDW listing for your event will also be included on our website’s calendar of events

You should use this resource when planning your event to make sure the date doesn’t clash with another event in the same town or surrounding areas before locking in your date.

Local media is also a good way to raise the profile or your event before and after by staging a media opportunity or sending out a media release.

Filming that takes place on Council land requires a filming and photography permit from us. However, if the filming activities are low impact, you won’t need to fill out the application for a permit — but you’ll still need to obtain our permission. To approve a low impact filming activity, we’ll require proof of your current public liability insurance and a minimum of five business days’ notice.

Filming on private property does not require a permit from Council, however, related activities such as vehicle parking in adjacent streets or equipment placement on nearby public land may require approval from council. Contact us to determine whether formal approval is needed for your filming on private land.  < contact us page >

If your filming and photography requires the closure or slowing/altering of traffic on a VicRoads arterial road or street, you will require a permit from VicRoads.   


Filming and photography application form(PDF, 661KB)