The Victoria State Emergency Service (VICSES) is the control agency for storms and floods in Victoria, which means that they are responsible for planning for storms and floods, and for managing the response if they do occur.
VICSES does this by assisting municipal councils and other agencies with the provision of advice, information, education and training in relation to emergency management, including the prevention of, response to, and recovery from emergencies.
This is guided by the North East Regional Flood Emergency Plan and Municipal Flood Emergency Plan(DOCX, 7MB) .
The StormSafe website has all the information you need including an emergency toolkit. https://www.ses.vic.gov.au/get-ready/stormsafe
It is important to know flood prone areas in your location.
If you are unaware, please contact us or visit your local SES branch.
When you hear a warning:
- Listen to the radio and check the VicEmergency website or app for more information and advice.
- Go over your Emergency Plan.
- Pack clothing and other extra items into your Emergency Kit and take this with you if you evacuate.
When flooding may happen soon:
- Make sure your family members and neighbours are aware of what is happening.
- Be ready to evacuate. Act early. Conditions change rapidly. Roads and escape routes can be covered or blocked. Don’t forget to take pets and medicine with you.
- Put household valuables and electrical items as high as possible.
- Turn off water, gas and electricity at the mains.
- Secure objects likely to float and cause damage. Raise chemicals and oils well above the forecast flood height.
During the flood:
For emergency assistance, call 132 500 for VICSES.
- Never drive, ride or walk through floodwater. This is the main cause of death during floods.
- Never allow children to play in floodwater. This is the main cause of death during floods for children and young people.
- Stay away from drains, culverts and waterways. Water can flow quickly and have strong currents.
- Stay well clear of fallen trees, power lines and damaged buildings.
After the flood:
- If your property has been flooded, check with us for information and advice.
- Have all electrical and gas equipment professionally tested before use.
Road closures will be listed at vicroads.vic.gov.au