News from our libraries
Children's Book Week 20-26 August 2022
Each year since 1945 The Children's Book Council of Australia has brought children and books together across Australia through Book Week.
Surely doing the Children's Book Week parade dressed as your favourite character is still one of your fondest memories from your primary school days! One of our team remembers going dressed as a mouse in year two!
During this special time schools and public libraries spend one glorious week celebrating books and Australian children's authors and illustrators.
Classroom teachers, teacher librarians and public librarians create vibrant displays, develop activities, run competitions and tell stories relating to a theme to highlight the importance of reading.
To celebrate Children's Week this year, our librarians have created a colourful week full of activities for you and your children to enjoy.
1. Keep on eye out for our themed displays. This year's theme 'Dreaming with eyes open' and draws on Australia's unique environmental and cultural heritage and beautifully reflects our own North East surrounds.
2. Join in on one of our special Children's Book Week story time sessions including the shortlisted books by Australian authors and illustrators:
- Beechworth Library - Monday 10.00am and Friday 10.00am
- Rutherglen Library - Wednesday 10.00am
- Yackandandah Library - Thursday 9.30am
- Chiltern Library - Friday 11.00am
3. Our friendly and passionate librarians, Anne and Margaret, will be attending Kindergartens throughout the week to do Children's Book Week activities
4. Local schools are visiting the libraries, and our libraries are heading into our schools to celebrate Australian authors and illustrators. Is your child dressing up as their favourite book character?
5. Explore our Children's Book Week collections in one of our library branches.
We wish everyone a happy Children's Book Week and we would forward to celebrating you over the coming week.
Yours in books and storytelling,
Your local Indigo Library Team.