Executive Manager People & Governance, Carla Hanlon, is responsible for:
Supporting the CEO on matters relating to People, Culture, Safety, Governance & Risk.
The People & Governance team exists to support, enable and develop the workforce, culture and practices of the organisation to best achieve the objectives of the Council Plan and by assisting the Council make informed decisions on all areas of uncertainty that may impact its ability to successfully deliver its services and objectives.
We do this in the following ways:
- Build organisational capability through effective leadership, employee attraction, development and retention
- Provide for the health, safety and wellbeing of our employees
- Drive enhanced contribution and delivery of our Council Plan through effective performance objectives, reviews and management
- Encourage and drive the rewarding of and recognising behaviours and high performance
- Drive, influence and support positive cultural change across the organisation
- Support and coach line managers and supervisors in engaging, developing and motivating their staff
- Continual monitoring and reporting of Council’s incidents, accidents and near misses including investigations, corrective action, WorkCover management and supporting employees to return to work safely
- Manage Council’s risk by ensuring compliance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act 2004, Fair Work Act 2009, Public Interest Disclosures Act 2012, Council’s Enterprise Agreement and other relevant legislation, standards and instruments
- Provide effective governance management of Council operations to achieve expected outcomes and to discharge its accountability obligations.
- Provide support and monitoring in the administration and interface of legislation and regulations that directly impact local government including the Local Government Act 2020, associated regulations and all other relevant legislation.
- Administer Council’s obligations under the Freedom of Information Act and provide information privacy advice across Council.
- Provide alignment with the Council Plan Strategic Objective “Council provides good governance and its business is open and transparent”.
- Maintain the trust of all stakeholders and that the Council is working in the best interests of the community it services.