At its August meeting, Council endorsed draft master plans for the Shire’s four caravan parks located in Beechworth, Chiltern, Rutherglen and Yackandandah.
After extensive consultation with key stakeholders, including the current leaseholders, Council is now inviting community feedback via formal submissions.
The key outcomes of the master plans are to:
- Strengthen and improve the accommodation offering to the caravan and camping market, identified as a growth market within the Shire
- Generate increases in visitor spend and create local job opportunities
- Assist to drive long term recovery for the tourism industry and contribute to economic growth across the Shire
- Develop a Lease Framework that will support Council to manage new and existing leases
Addressing community concerns
In addressing some community concerns, specifically for the draft Lake Sambell Caravan Park Master Plan, Council seeks to reassure the community that:
- There will be no impact to the Lake Sambell walking paths
- Council will not be investing in any private caravan park swimming pool
- The modelling shows no cost to ratepayers
- Any investment by Council to upgrade underground services and infrastructure will be offset by increased rent from the caravan park operators investing in upgrades and new facilities
- Council will not be sharing any of the private financial details that the current leaseholders have provided to the consultants
The trees removed in relation to the new walking track infrastructure were predominantly Radiata Pine (Pinus radiata) – these are planted non-native trees that have very little value to native wildlife, including Koalas. Removal of non-native pines is a key action of the 2015 Lake Sambell Master Plan.
View or download the draft master plans
To view or download the draft master plans, which are in PDF format, click on the links below. Alternatively, you can visit our libraries to view the documents. Further down the page are details on how to make a submission.
Please note that these documents are in draft format and the final design will be completed following the public exhibition process.
Draft Lake Anderson Caravan Park Master Plan
Draft Lake Sambell Caravan Park Master Plan
Draft Rutherglen Caravan Park Master Plan
Draft Yackandandah Caravan Park Master Plan
How to make a submission?
Submissions should be addressed to the Tourism Manager and be received by 5pm on Tuesday 27 September.
Submissions can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to PO Box 28, Beechworth 3747.