Page header Local Laws

Local Laws Overview

Local Laws have been developed to encourage residents to consider their neighbours and provide peace and good order for the community.

Council's Local Laws cover such areas as:

  • Protecting residential amenities
  • Camping and temporary dwellings
  • Burning off
  • Control of livestock
  • Consumption of alcohol on roads/footpaths
  • Keeping of animals
  • Street selling and collections
  • Street furniture and advertising signs
  • Behaviour in municipal places

Council's Local Law No. 1 concerns the use of streets and roads within Indigo Shire.
This Local Law covers a range of activities affecting the amenity of the municipality, including footpaths, municipal buildings, reserves, swimming pools and consumption of alcohol in public places.
This Local Law governs the procedure at Council meetings.
This Local Law regulates and controls stock throughout the Shire including on grazing on roadsides, droving and stock fencing.
This Local Law regulates and controls activities and behaviour on the Rail Trail.


    Parking management

    Parking is policed by Local Laws Officers to ensure the maximum use of available parking spaces and the protection of other motorists and pedestrians.

    Abandoned vehicles and truck parking

    Any unregistered car parked or left on the road or footpath is considered an abandoned vehicle. These cars are often be in a state of disrepair and their number plates may have been removed. Council's procedure for dealing with these vehicles will ultimately result in the vehicle being towed away and impounded at the cost of the owner. If the vehicle is not claimed, it will be sold or disposed of. The owner of a vehicle or trailer, with a Gross Vehicle Mass of three tonnes, must not park on Council property or privately owned land within a residential zone for more than two hours without a permit.

    Download an application form for a permit to park a heavy vehicle in a residential area.

    Noise in general

    Anyone in charge of or occupying a premises cannot cause or allow unreasonable noise. Unreasonable is defined as noise that is audible in a habitable room of a neighbour's house outside of prescribed hours.

    The Environment Protection Agency has regulated that certain equipment cannot be used outside of specified times:

    1. Motor Vehicles (except a vehicle entering or leaving premises), lawn mower, equipment or appliance (not falling within group 2 below) having internal combustion. Monday-Friday before 7am and after 8pm. Weekends and public holidays before 9am and after 8pm.
    2. Electric power tool, chain or circular saw, gas or air compressor, pneumatic power tool, hammer or other impacting tool, grinding equipment. Monday-Friday before 7am and after 8pm. Weekends and public holidays before 9am and after 8pm.
    3. Domestic air conditioner, swimming pool pump, spa pump, domestic heating equipment (including central heating and hot water systems). Monday-Friday before 7am and after 10pm. Weekends and public holidays before 9am and after 10pm.
    4. Musical instrument, electrical amplified sound reproducing equipment (including stereogram, radio, television or public address system). Monday-Thursday before 7am and after 10pm, Friday before 7am and after 11pm. Saturday and public holidays before 9am and after 11pm, Sunday before 9am and after 10pm.
    5. Electrical equipment or appliance not falling within group 2, group 3 or group 4 above. Monday-Friday before 7am and after 8pm. Weekends and public holidays before 9am and after 8pm

    If you wish to report an abandoned vehicle or stationary heavy vehicle, complain about barking dogs or noisy workshops please contact our Enforcement department on 02 6028 1100 or mobile 0407 201 002.

    Complaints about parties or stereos should be reported to the Police.

    For more information about the EPA's laws on Residential Noise visit the EPA Victoria website.