Indigo receives $105,000 for Youth Projects
“The i-engage project will consolidate the fantastic work being done in the Youth Development area for Indigo’s amazing young people,” said Indigo Shire’s Mayor Cr Larry Goldsworthy. “The project aims to encourage young people to create their own opportunities through organising activities they enjoy.”
A range of activities that engage young people aged between 12 and 25 will include:
- establishing a youth centre and regular youth programs in Yackandandah, Chiltern, Tangambalanga and Barnawartha
- coordinating and facilitating an annual youth film festival across all communities in the shire
- supporting the establishment of youth radio and the training and development of young people in the community to manage the stations, facilitate shows and programming
- annual Shire Youth Awards ceremony to celebrate the achievements of young people in the community
- providing business skills development opportunities for young people interested in starting up their own business
- targeting programs for boys in regard to mentoring, health and well being, relationships and peer support
- targeting programs for girls in regard to socialisation, identified skills enhancements and health and well being
“The skills young people will learn through being involved in these activities will be with them for the rest of their lives, and could influence their career direction, which is very exciting,” said Cr Goldsworthy.
For more information on the i-engage! project contact Annette Walton, Indigo’s Youth Development Officer on ph: 02 6028 1100.
- end -