Pest plants & animals

Pest plants and animals are a multimillion dollar problem Australia wide. Exotic plants and animals can seriously harm both agricultural land and remnant native vegetation. Formal legal responsibilities for various pest species are defined under the Catchment & Land Protection Act 1994.

The Act states that landholders are responsible for controlling weeds and pest animals on their property.

Council is responsible for controlling weeds and pest animals on council property, if you see a weed or pest on council report, you can report it via this simple web form:


You are responsible for controlling weeds and pest animals on your own property. Agriculture Victoria has various guides and fact sheets on this, see their website:


If you have a complaint about a weed or pest animal on a neighbouring property, we recommend you speak to your neighbour about it first. Council cannot enforce the Catchment and Land Protection Act requirements on private property. You can escalate your concern to Agriculture Culture, who can give directions to comply to landholders. Agriculture Victoria can be contacted on 136 186.


RabbitScan is a free resource for landholders and the community to record and map rabbit activity, warrens, damage, and control activities in their local area. RabbitScan can also be used to record rabbit numbers and evidence of disease. You can access RabbitScan via the website: or download the App. It is quick and simple and helps gather data on the amount and locations of rabbits. This information can then be used by council, Landcare groups and Agriculture Victoria to plan programs.

You can also record foxes, feral cats or any other feral pest animal on this website and app.


Last updated: 02 March 2018