Beechworth Street Trees Rehabilitation Program
Twenty old trees will be removed during June in Loch Street, William Street and Last Street and replaced. This is part of a more comprehensive street tree rehabilitation and conservation process being undertaken by Indigo Shire in Beechworth in consultation with the Beechworth Trees Consultative Committee, a committee of Council.
The trees are relatively old and in marked decline and would continue to deteriorate. Removing them has been considered for some time and with discussion and further advice from experts in our community it’s clear that action needs to be taken before they decline further.
Liquidamber, cork oak and elm trees will be planted over winter, and will have a positive visual impact along the historic streetscapes within five years.
Beechworth Trees Consultative Committee
- Bach. App. Sc., Dip. Landscape Arch., Grad. Dip. V.E.T.
- Landscape Architect with extensive Australian and international experience in tree assessment and management
- Completed landscape component of Indigo Shire Heritage Study
- Member National Trust Significant Trees Committee
- Member International Dendrology Society, Australian chapter
- 03 5728 6603
- Certificate IV in horticulture - arboriculture and landscape design
- Head gardener, Mayday Hills, 9 years
- Indigo Shire horticulturalist, 15 years - tree planting, management, maintenance
- Major contributor to Indigo Shire Tree Management Plan
- Extensive experience in tree management across north east Victoria.
- 0418 509 842
- Beechworth Treescape Group representative
- Member Beechworth Treescape group
- Tree nerd & tree collector
- Member International Dendrology Society
- Member Research and Development Committee of Chestnuts Australia Inc
- Owner of The Garden in the Forest and owner of organic chestnut orchard.
- B. Arts Dip. Ed.
- 03 5728 6591, 0427 286 591
- Diplomas in arboriculture and horticulture
- Member International Society of Arboriculture, Australian Chapter
- Owner-operator of tree management business, The Tree Brain, in Beechworth.
- 0427 382 170, 03 5728 2170
- Qualified arborist with more than 10 years experience in all aspects of the arboricultural industry, including
- Department of Sustainability and the Environment, firefighting and park maintenance
- National Parks and Wildlife Service field officer
- Currently Indigo Shire Council's tree maintenance officer.
- 1300 365 003
- Indigo Shire Council's Manager of Civil Operations, which includes
- Parks and gardens
- Tree maintenance
- 1300 365 003
Cr Barb Murdoch
Last updated: 09 December 2016