Burning off

Council staff have noticed people are preparing piles of garden waste to burn on land in township areas. Many parts of Indigo Shire are prone to bushfires and you need a Local Law permit from Council before you can burn off in townships. Incinerators are prohibited and no approval will be given to use these or similar devices.

What if I need to burn off?

  • You must have a Local Law permit from Council to burn off in the open in a township area.
  • You must have public liability insurance.
  • You must register your burn with the CFA on 1800 668 511 and notify the operator of your permit number 30 minutes before ignition. This is so CFA and emergency services are aware of your activities as often 000 is dialled when a fire is noticed.
  • Permit or not, you must not burn off on CFA Total Fire Ban days.

What happens if I don't follow the rules?

Council Enforcement officers can fine you $500 under Local Law No. 2. Council's rangers are often made aware of illegal burning in towns. They will attend and issue fines accordingly.

A "township area" is defined as land in a residential zone or area developed mainly for housing and which abuts a road or roads with a speed limit of 50Kmh or lower.

What to do

Go to www.indigoshire.vic.gov.au/burnoff for a permit application form, or collect yours from one of Council's Customer Service Centres. Follow the rules, respect your neighbours and the community.


Last updated: 31 August 2018