Developing a property with a heritage overlay

A heritage overlay on a property means you must get a planning permit for all external changes, including front fences, and sometimes for painting, internal alterations and removing or pruning trees.

A permit is required to:

  • Subdivide land.
  • Demolish or remove a building.
  • Construct a building or construct or carry out works, including:
    • Domestic services normal to a dwelling if the services are visible from a street (other than a lane) or public park.
    • A solar energy facility attached to a building that primarily services the land on which it is situated if the services are visible from a street (other than a lane) or public park.
    • A rainwater tank if the rainwater tank is visible from a street (other than a lane) or public park.
    • A fence.
    • A domestic swimming pool or spa and associated mechanical and safety equipment.
    • A pergola or verandah.
    • A deck.
    • Non-domestic disabled access.
  • Externally alter a building by structural work, rendering, sandblasting or in any other way.
  • Construct or display a sign.
  • Externally paint a building.
  • Externally paint an unpainted surface.
  • Carry out works, repairs and routine maintenance which change the appearance of a heritage place or which are not undertaken to the same details, specifications and materials.
  • Remove, destroy or lop a tree if the schedule to the overlay identifies the heritage place as one where tree controls apply.

Meet with the Heritage Adviser

Before you develop or demolish property in a heritage overlay, meet with Council's heritage adviser first. The heritage adviser can tell you what parts of your property should be protected.

This service is free.

Contact Council for an appointment on (02) 6028 1102. Bring photos, pictures and plans of your project to your appointment with the Heritage Adviser. You can also get advice from a private heritage architect.


Last updated: 29 January 2016