Frequently asked questions

I want a building permit as an owner builder. What does that involve?

Owner/builder laws provide greater protection for consumers, genuine owner/builders and registered building practitioners. They mean that unregistered builders can no longer avoid registration fees and insurance by operating as a surrogate owner or by persuading owners to be the builder.

  • Must obtain a Certificate of Consent from the Building Practitioners Board in order to obtain a building permit to carry out domestic building work valued over $16,000
  • May only obtain building permits for a single dwelling and associated work on a single property in any three-year period
  • Must reside and continue to reside, or intend to reside in the single dwelling
  • A $98.12 fee is to be paid to the Victorian Building Authority along with lodgment forms sent to obtain Certificate of Consent. You will also be required to sit a White Card Construction Assessment and an on-line assessment.

Useful links:

Do all pools require a fence?

All swimming pools require a fence that complies with AS1926. Contact our Municipal Building Surveyor phone 02 6028 1124 for advice or to book an inspection of your property.

I'm having a problem with my neighbour and our boundary fence. What can Council do to help?

Unfortunately fencing disputes are a civil matter and Council is not able to help either party. You can contact the 'Dispute Settlement Centre' on 02 9603 8370 or open this fact sheet.

Can my neighbour build to the boundary?

Generally, yes. Your neighbour is able to build to the boundary. The maximum wall height on the boundary is 3.0m or an average of 3.0m with a maximum of 3.6m. Replacement of the boundary fence becomes a civil matter.

What is the maximum height I can build my front fence?

The maximum height you can build your front fence depends on the type of street in which you live. If your property is on a main road the maximum fence height is 2.0m. If your property is on a normal residential street, court, etc., the maximum height is 1.5m.

I've got a problem with my builder. Who do I talk to?

If the problem with your builder is contractual you will need to consult your solicitor. If your builder has breached the Building Regulations you can contact the relevant Building Surveyor who issued your permit or the Building Commission.

How close can I build to a boundary and what is Rescode?

Rescode fact sheet

What can I do to bushfire proof my house?

You might find the following links helpful:

Bushfire Retrofit

Bunker Information Sheet

  • New Bushfire Regulations 8 September 2011

    The Building Amendment (Bushfire Construction) Regulations 2011 came into effect on 8 September 2011. These ongoing Regulations replace the interim Regulations made in March 2010 and implement permanent bushfire construction requirements across Victoria.

    The regulations provide for the following:

    - The Minister for Planning has the authority to designate bushfire prone areas.
    Designated bushfire prone area maps have been prepared and will be made available free of charge to the public online through

    - The relevant Building Surveyor must accept a bushfire attack level (BAL) specified by a planning scheme or a planning permit for the construction requirements for a building.

    - In designated bushfire prone areas a minimum construction standard of BAL 12.5 for ember protection applies.  A large portion of the  Indigo Shire is considered to be within  the designated bushfire prone area.

Last updated: 22 January 2018