Building services

Indigo Shire's Building Services Team ensures that buildings are constructed and maintained to the relevant standards. We promote good building design having regard to siting, orientation, energy efficiency, bushfire protection and much more.

The Municipal Building Surveyor administers the Building Act and Regulations which require a building permit to be issued prior to undertaking building works.

For further information contact the Indigo Shire Building Department on 1300 365 003 or email


You may also need:



Bushfire Attack Level assessment_form.

When do I need a Building Permit?

Generally a building permit is required whenever you build, extend or modify the use of a building. The cost of the building permit can vary as the amount may include state government taxes which are calculated on the value of works. Base fees can be found on the Fees and Charges table of the Indigo Shire website or ring the Building Department for a quotation.

In some cases a building permit may not be required, refer to the table below as a guide.

If in any doubt, please do not hesitate to contact the Building Department on 1300 365 003

Refer to Here to check if you need a permit

Frequently Asked Questions

Last updated: 22 January 2018